Monday, December 10, 2012

"eyes the color of the sea.."


my daddy went to sea today
i watched him from the sand and when I could
no longer see his face I closed my eyes and held
him where his smile never fades but
lives warm and kind beneath my heart.

i will stand here while the tide lifts and
falls waiting for the first sign of his sail
as it rises above the horizon from the east
his coming more wonderful than the dawn

he is the sun in my day, and in his eyes I am
skipper of the strong ship that will carry my dreams
a sound vessel, deep-keeled and open to the stars
I pilot his heart with all the mastery of a
captain's daughter

fair days, or slated skies with lowering winds
my father's arms will lift me high above
the shoals of time, and in the shelter of a place
that never changes i am safe from all that shifts
around me

I wait for him to join me on the sand where I
have built a castle for the king he is, to the princess
I will always be...in his eyes the color of the sea


No comments:

Post a Comment