Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"a hope-scented pillow..."

today is my wedding day
something borrowed, something
blue...something old, something new...

my sisters will wear dresses of periwinkle
and no shoes....
i will wear a dress the color of sand....
the pale, sun-bleached sand of a summer's
day....

we will cross the boardwalk and let the
sea call us like baby turtles to our native soil
he will be there waiting with my brothers
and his mother

I have dreamed this day...forever...and a day

his niece will carry a pillow that my grandmother
made from an old pillowslip
one she trimmed with the battenburg lace
her own mother had carried in a small suitcase
from the "old country"...a someday heirloom
she sewed with tiny stitches
and filled with lavender...

all my hopes fill that pillow.
so, for me, hope carries the scent of
old lavender and sun-bleached linen...
this is where I will thread his wedding band
with satin ribbon and tie a soft bow,
then, I will  wait by the sea
to slip it free from its anchor on linen
and lace... to place it where it
belongs...where it has always
belonged...

No comments:

Post a Comment