Friday, May 06, 2011

"white linen..."

don't you have
anything with color in it
my daughters ask as they
search my closet for something
they think I might wear today...instead
of white

hmmm...no,

I like white shirts, and dresses,
skirts and sweaters, little white waistcoats and
vintage slips with bits of lace,
pale satin ribbons that droop with age

I like knowing that everything I own
will match...if not because of a similar color,
for lack of one.  the palest shades of
blush and ecru, ivory and the softest
robin's egg blue.

colors that are as faded as my hair and
delicate as the fine lines and
tissue-paper skin I am beginning
to notice around my eyes

I no longer match my accessories to my
clothes, I now match my clothes to me...
it's just easier that way....

white hair with white linen,  sand and
khaki for what has yet to change to white,
denim eyes with jeans and scarves in
shades of sea and sky, pale blush
and that wonderful "flesh" tone of
crayola fame...

each year I get closer and closer to wearing
a christening gown...every day...
ready each moment, to be baptized in Spirit,
and wedded to Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment